Last major update issued on September 7, 2014 at 05:50 UTC.
[Solar and geomagnetic data - last month (updated
[Solar wind and electron fluence charts (updated daily)]
[Solar cycles 23-24 (last update September 1, 2014)] [Cycle 24 progress (last update September 1, 2014) ]
[Solar cycles 1-20]
[Graphical comparison of cycles 21, 22, 23 and 24 (last update September 1, 2014)]
[Graphical comparison of cycles 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 and 24 (last update September 1, 2014)]
[Historical solar and geomagnetic data charts 1954-2006 (last update April 5, 2007)]
[Archived reports since January 2003 (last update September 6, 2014)]
[POES auroral activity level October
2009 - December 2012]
[Solar polar fields vs solar cycles - updated September 6, 2014]
[Presentations: 3rd SSN Workshop, Tucson, 2013 (pdf) / 4th SSN Workshop, Locarno, 2014]
The geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled on September 6. Solar wind speed at SOHO ranged between 327 and 411 km/s, most of the day under the influence of weak CME effects.
Solar flux at 20h UTC on 2.8 GHz was 157 (increasing 49 over the last solar rotation). The 90 day 10.7 flux at 1 AU was 133.6. The Potsdam WDC planetary A index was 8 (STAR Ap - based on the mean of three hour interval ap indices: 8.4). Three hour interval K indices: 12312322 (planetary), 12323322 (Boulder).
The background x-ray flux is at the class C1 level.
At the time of counting spots (see image time), spots were observed in 11 active regions using 2K resolution (SN: 236) and 11 active regions using 1K resolution (SN: 180) SDO images on the visible solar disk.
Region 12152 [S14W68] decayed slowly and lost all
trailing polarity umbrae. The region was mostly
Region 12154 [S19W20] decayed slowly and quietly.
Region 12155 [S19E34] decayed slowly and quietly.
Region 12157 [S14E47] still has a significant magnetic delta structure in the southeastern part of the largest penumbra. Further M class flares are likely, a major flare is possible.
Region 12158 [N15E56] was mostly unchanged and has a strong magnetic delta structure inside the large penumbra. An X class event is possible.
Region 12159 [S21E64] was quiet and stable.
New region 12160 [S09W52] emerged on September 5 and was numbered by SWPC the next day.
New region 12161 [S15W07] emerged with a few spots.
New region 12162 [N08W03] emerged on September 5 with SWPC numbering the region the following day.
Spotted regions not numbered (or interpreted differently) by SWPC:
New region S3804 [S16W13] emerged with penumbra spots to the northeast of AR 12154.
New region S3805 [S17E77] rotated into view.
|Magnitude||Peak time (UTC)||Location||AR||Comment|
September 4-6: No obviously Earth directed CMEs were observed in LASCO and STEREO imagery.
[Coronal hole history (since October
[Compare today's report to the situation one solar rotation ago: 28 days ago 27 days ago 26 days ago]
A recurrent trans equatorial extension of a northern hemisphere coronal hole (CH634) was in an Earth facing position on September 5.
Long distance low and medium frequency (below 2 MHz) propagation along paths north of due west over upper middle latitudes is poor. Propagation on long distance northeast-southwest paths is fair.
The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled on September 7-9 with a chance of active intervals due to CME effects on September 7 and under the influence of a high speed stream from CH634 on September 8-9.
|Coronal holes (1)||Coronal mass ejection (2)||M and X class flares (3)|
1) Effects from a coronal hole could reach Earth within the
next 5 days. When the high speed stream has arrived the color changes to
2) Effects from a CME are likely to be observed at Earth within 96 hours.
3) There is a possibility of either M or X class flares within the next 48 hours.
Green: 0-30% probability, Yellow: 30-70% probability, Red: 70-100% probability.
(Click on image for 2K resolution) Compare to the previous day's image. 0.5K image
When available the active region map has a coronal hole polarity overlay where red (pink) is negative and blue is positive.
Data for all numbered solar regions according to the Solar Region Summary provided by NOAA/SWPC. Comments are my own, as is the STAR spot count (spots observed at or inside a few hours before midnight) and data for regions not numbered by SWPC or where SWPC has observed no spots. SWPC active region numbers in the table below and in the active region map above are the historic SWPC/USAF numbers.
|Active region||Date numbered
|Spot count||Location at midnight||Area||Classification||SDO / HMI 4K continuum
image with magnetic polarity overlay
|2||S09W92||0140||DSO||rotated out of view|
|Total spot count:||70||126||70|
|Sunspot number:||170||236||180||(total spot count + 10 * number of spotted regions)|
|Weighted SN:||121||168||112||(Sum of total spot count + classification weighting for each AR. Classification weighting: X=0, R=3, A/S=5, H/K=10)|
|Relative sunspot number (Wolf number):||102||83||99||k * (sunspot number). k = 0.6 for SWPC, k = 0.35 for MSN 2K, k = 0.55 for MSN 1K (MSN=Magnetic Sunspot Number)|
|Month||Average solar flux||International sunspot number
|Smoothed sunspot number||Average ap
|166.3||102.3 (cycle peak)||78.4 (+1.1)||10.70|
|2014.03||149.9||148.5||91.9||(80.3 projected, +1.9)||4.88|
|2014.04||143.9||144.8||84.7||(81.0 projected, +0.7)||7.88|
|2014.05||129.7||132.9||75.2||(79.2 projected, -1.8)||5.75|
|2014.06||122.0||125.8||71.0||(76.6 projected, -2.6)||6.72|
|2014.07||137.4||141.8||72.5||(73.6 projected, -3.0)||4.50|
|2014.08||124.6||74.7||(70.1 projected, -3.5)||7.71|
|2014.09||141.0 (1)||24.4 (2A) / 122.2 (2B) / 71.7 (2C)||(65.9 projected, -4.2)||(7.5)|
1) Running average based on the daily 20:00 UTC observed solar flux value at
2A) Current impact on the monthly sunspot number based on the Boulder (NOAA/SWPC) sunspot number (accumulated daily sunspots / month days). The official WDC-SILSO international sunspot number is typically 30-50% lower. 2B) Boulder SN current month average to date. 2C) STAR SDO 1K Wolf number 30 day average.
3) Running average based on the quicklook and definitive Potsdam WDC ap indices. Values in red are based on the definitive international GFZ Potsdam WDC ap indices.
This report has been prepared by Jan Alvestad. It is based on the analysis of data from whatever sources are available at the time the report is prepared. All time references are to the UTC day. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
SDO images are courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams.