Last major update issued on November 20, 2014 at 04:25 UTC.
[Solar and geomagnetic data - last month (updated
[Solar wind and electron fluence charts (updated daily)]
[Solar cycles 23-24 (last update October 1, 2014)] [Cycle 24 progress (last update November 1, 2014) ]
[Solar cycles 1-20]
[Graphical comparison of cycles 21, 22, 23 and 24 (last update November 1, 2014)]
[Graphical comparison of cycles 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 and 24 (last update November 1, 2014)]
[Historical solar and geomagnetic data charts 1954-2006 (last update April 5, 2007)]
[Archived reports since January 2003 (last update November 1, 2014)]
[Noon SDO sunspot count 1K Reference: 4K (large file) (updated daily)]
[POES auroral activity level October
2009 - December 2012]
[Solar polar fields vs solar cycles - updated October 11, 2014]
[Presentations: 3rd SSN Workshop, Tucson, 2013 (pdf) / 4th SSN Workshop, Locarno, 2014]
The geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled on November 19. Solar wind speed at SOHO ranged between 374 and 454 km/s.
Solar flux at 20h UTC on 2.8 GHz was 169.6 (decreasing 57.5 over the last solar rotation). The 90 day 10.7 flux at 1 AU was 146.5 - the highest since May 23, 2014). The Potsdam WDC planetary A index was 7 (STAR Ap - based on the mean of three hour interval ap indices: 7.0). Three hour interval K indices: 31122121 (planetary), 31112241 (Boulder).
The background x-ray flux is at the class B9 level.
At the time of counting spots (see image time), spots were observed in 8 active regions using 2K resolution (SN: 225) and 7 active regions using 1K resolution (SN: 141) SDO images on the visible solar disk.
Region 12208 [S11W65] decayed slowly and quietly.
Region 12209 [S14E02] was mostly unchanged and quiet. There is still a magnetic delta in the eastern part of the largest penumbra as well as a small magnetic delta near the eastern edge of the same penumbra. A major flare is possible.
Region 12214 [S12E21] decayed slowly and quietly.
Spotted regions not numbered (or interpreted differently) by SWPC:
S4000 [S05W25] was quiet and stable.
S4002 [N05W02] was quiet and stable.
New region S4006 [S28W32] emerged early in the day, then decayed slowly.
New region S4007 [S12E80] rotated into view as a compact region. A minor M class flare is possible.
New region S4008 [N12E76] rotated into view.
C2+ flares (GOES):
|Magnitude||Peak time (UTC)||Location||AR||Comment|
November 17-19: No obviously Earth directed CMEs were observed in LASCO imagery.
[Coronal hole history (since October
[Compare today's report to the situation one solar rotation ago: 28 days ago 27 days ago 26 days ago]
No obvious coronal holes are currently in or near Earth facing positions.
Long distance low and medium frequency (below 2 MHz) propagation along paths north of due west over upper middle latitudes is poor to fair. Propagation on long distance northeast-southwest paths is fair.
The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to active on November 20 due to a high speed stream from CH643 and quiet on November 21-22.
|Coronal holes (1)||Coronal mass ejection (2)||M and X class flares (3)|
2) Effects from a CME are likely to be observed at Earth within 96 hours.
3) There is a possibility of either M or X class flares within the next 48 hours.
Green: 0-30% probability, Yellow: 30-70% probability, Red: 70-100% probability.
(Click on image for 2K resolution) Compare to the previous day's image. 0.5K image
|Active region||Date numbered
|Spot count||Location at midnight||Area||Classification||SDO / HMI 4K continuum
image with magnetic polarity overlay
|Total spot count:||32||145||71|
|Sunspot number:||72||225||141||(total spot count + 10 * number of spotted regions)|
|Relative sunspot number (Wolf number):||43||79||78||k * (sunspot number). k = 0.6 for SWPC, k = 0.35 for MSN 2K, k = 0.55 for MSN 1K (MSN=Magnetic Sunspot Number)|
|Month||Average solar flux||International sunspot number
|Smoothed sunspot number||Average ap
|166.3||102.3 (cycle peak)||78.4 (+1.1)||10.70|
(likely solar max)
|2014.05||129.7||132.9||75.2||(80.3 projected, -1.6)||5.75|
|2014.06||122.0||125.8||71.0||(78.7 projected, -1.6)||6.72|
|2014.07||137.4||141.8||72.5||(77.1 projected, -1.6)||4.50|
|2014.08||124.7||127.9||74.7||(74.7 projected, -3.0)||7.71|
|2014.09||146.6||148.1||87.6||(71.5 projected, -3.2)||9.78|
|2014.10||153.4||152.9||60.6||(69.0 projected, -2.5)||8.96|
|2014.11||144.6 (1)||58.1 (2A) / 91.8 (2B) / 87.6 (2C)||(67.3 projected, -1.7)||(10.6)|
1) Running average based on the daily 20:00 UTC observed solar flux value at
2A) Current impact on the monthly sunspot number based on the Boulder (NOAA/SWPC) sunspot number (accumulated daily sunspots / month days). The official WDC-SILSO international sunspot number is typically 30-50% lower. 2B) Boulder SN current month average to date. 2C) STAR SDO 1K Wolf number 30 day average.
3) Running average based on the quicklook and definitive Potsdam WDC ap indices. Values in red are based on the definitive international GFZ Potsdam WDC ap indices.
SDO images are courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams.